Sunday, May 22, 2011

Making Progress

Not being a fan of New Year's resolutions, when it turned 2011 I decided to log some fitness goals for the year. I truly had no idea how well I would progress since I chose these goals two weeks after foot surgery and I couldn't predict my recovery. Well, I'm pleased to say that I've recovered exceptionally well from a bunionectomy and dislocation repair, even though I'll need similar work on my left foot. But that'll keep until after marathon season.
Accountability is half the battle with goals (and resolutions, for that matter) and while I won't bore my readers with all my goals I will report on my success or failure in achieving certain ones. I'll assign a letter grade to better define how I'm doing.
Pay better attention to diet. Some of that comes naturally for me the fitter I become; I just crave junk food less and less. That said, sweets are killer for me, and it doesn't help when my husband likes to give me candy (no complaints, mind you!). Specifically I have been drinking more water and eating more protein. Supplements are still a sticking point. I'm reluctant to have a multi-vitamin at the same time I down a calcium and a Vitamin D pill. So that has been spotty at best. B.
Run another marathon. Haha! Check with me in mid-October after the Bay State Marathon I'm scheduled to run. Incomplete.
Compete in different races/different places. Traveling across Upstate New York to race has become a series of mini-vacations for me, yet another reason to mix things up. For 2011, I have signed up for these new races: Delta Lake Triathlon, outside Rome; Cayuga Lake Triathlon, outside Ithaca; Turning Stone Half-Marathon. A.
Strength train twice a week. I love lifting weights, but when it's sooooo nice outside, I'd rather be on my bike. Still, I'm needing to work on my hamstring strength if I intend to race a strongly as possible this year. A.
Swim four times a week. This is tough to do around work and end-of-year kid schedules. The best I've done is three times a week. C.
Run 35 miles a week. This week past I got to almost 30 miles, and I've deliberately built gradually from my post-op layoff or else risk injury. When I'm gearing up for the Oct. 16 marathon, however, 35-mile weeks will become a must. I'll likely drop one bike a week to make up that distance. B.
Rest every 10 days. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I have one thing to say about that: F.
With 7 months to go in the year, I'll check back in and see how I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment